Sunday, August 29, 2010

Embellish Magazine Color Challenge: Using Squares

Before I get started, I want to wish my dear friend Meg a very happy birthday. Happy Birthday, Meg! I hope your special day is amazing. :D

I wouldn't normally seek out colour challenges but it seems I've become addicted to the last few at Embellish Magazine and Wplus9. The newest colour challenge at Embellish Magazine has three bold colours and the required use of squares. These three colours remind me of Halloween. I thought it would be fun to make a Halloween card but I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate squares.

Purple is one of my least favourite colours. Okay, I take that back. It is my least favourite colour! I don't have much in terms of purple. I have some cheap, flimsy dp (for emergencies) and very narrow ribbon but zero cardstock. I thought I wouldn't be able to participate in this challenge until I spotted the purple in my baker's twine bundle. It's pretty enough to fulfill the challenge requirement and I don't mind purple in this very subtle form. ;)

I used one of my free Unity images (also shown in this card) to create a background of squares. Then I cut out black squares and impressed them using the linen side of PTI's Canvas & Linen impression plate, thus creating more squares. I die cut the sentiment frame from Simply Chartreuse felt and adhered the four pieces to the card. Then I pierced holes for the two-part baker's twine embellishment. I also notched the base of the card so the twine wouldn't create a bump along the bottom. I tied the bows in place and added rhinestones to finish. I loved the background so much, I didn't want to cover it up. It also gave me quite a few ideas for future cards!

Sources: GinaK 120lb pure luxury White cardstock; GinaK pure luxury Black Onyx cardstock; Unity frame; PTI Fillable Frames #2; SU Kiwi Kiss ink; Staz-On Jet Black ink; PTI Simply Chartreuse felt; PTI Fillable Frames #2 die; PTI Linen & Canvas impression plate; QuicKutz Epic Six; Marvy-Uchida 1/8" long reach circle punch; The Twinery Lilac baker's twine; SU Basic Rhinestones

7 comments:

Meg said...

Aw, thanks for the birthday wishes, Em!

What a beautiful card...I never would have thought to use that frame as a background, but now I want that stamp just so I can copy you! I love the felt and you have just the perfect amount of purple (I'm not a fan, either, I may like it even less than orange).

G Peplow said...

Hi Emily, love this card, the colour is a beautiful mix, purple and green are a favourite combination of mine.
I'm so glad that you entered into the spirit and joined in with the beautiful blogger award, you received it in the manner it was given, well done you! Interesting facts about you, a very accomplished young lady, I'm impressed:D xxx

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

This challenge is on my list of things to do! Your card is just STUNNING, Em! love it!

Angela said...

Love the background and the way you've used felt! I was thinking Halloween for this challenge too -- I think I have some dp that'll work....
Oh, and that purple twine is so cute! I've recently decided I like purple again, after a 15-year hiatus :)

Lindsey said...

What an original way to use those colours! Sad to hear about your dislike of purple, tho. ;) I'm going to have to check out this baker's twine, you're doing such great stuff with it!

Alice said...

fabulous simple card!

Laurie said...

This is beautiful! I love that patterned paper!